Thread: Eye Twitching
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2010, 11:05 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile Twitching

I have had twitching in my left eye from the beginning of MG. Mestinon made it go away most of the time, but sometimes it still occurs and it is almost always when I get stressed, also fluorescent lights also can make my eyes twitch.

The oddest thing I have noticed about my MG is that when one part of my body gets weak, for example my legs and arms, another part gets tense and twitchy, usually my face and especially my left eyebrow.

This makes it hard to know if I am getting too much or not enough Mestinon.

Also, the feeling you describe as worms moving under your skin, I get that too. It was most intense when my MG first started, when I only had double vision. My doctor said that this symptom confused him, I think he used the phrase "threw him off" and made him doubt the MG diagnosis. Now, I get this feeling whenever my MG is going to get worse, I think it is the antibodies going through my body since the feeling seems to go from my body center outward. Always, the feeling is the most instense in my face and around my left eye.

Mestinon has really helped with these symptoms and seems to help more and more as time goes by, but of course they never go away completely. I am only taking Mestinon.

I do wonder if I have an electrolyte problem (or something else nutritional related) as Annie mentioned but I have so many MG related problems that I just don't have time to deal with all of them including this one. Drinking water regularly and eating green leafy vegetable seem to help with my twitching, and of course the Mestinon. Any processed food seems to increase my chance of having twitches.

I want to add here that I am starting to have twitching hands and fingers recently, enough to interfere with my daily life. I haven't been eating so good because I have been tired so this confirms (again) that a healthy diet helps with whatever is wrong with me including the MG.

Also, I have read that taking calcium pills can interfere with the absorption of other minerals that you need, I think it is mostly magnesium, and this can cause muscle twitching. I am too tired right now to find the info or to make sure I have this correct, but it is worth looking into (for me and maybe for you). Maybe a different, or additional supplement will help? Or a change in your food diet? Just thinking.

Nicky, I have a problem with excessive tearing. This is a big frustration of mine. I wonder if it is a side effect of the Mestinon. I have never been much of a crier, but now any time I get emotional the tears start running out of my eyes and I don't feel like I am crying. It happens so often that I am getting irritated skin in the corners of my eyes and on the sides of my nose. I don't know what to do or even if it matters...I say that because of all the other problems with MG, I just can't seem to keep up with all these problems I have but I do try.

I hope some of this info is helpful.

DesertFlower is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Nicknerd (04-07-2010)