View Single Post
Old 04-07-2010, 05:33 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

My MIL is 86 and until recently was dxd with MCI...now early Altzheimer's. She had to turn over the check writing to my DH. She and her DH, who has no central vision, struggle mightily to balance their checkbook (and often fail). DH has to fill their med trays, since she gets so overwrought.
She seems to have good days and not-so-good days. I feel so bad for her when she can't do something she used to be able to do.
For instance, one morning, she made them oatmeal. Unfortunately, she made a whole saucepan full, rather than 2 servings. She doesn't understand what she was thinking when she did that. Then she freaks out when she can't find a bill or some other piece of mail. She tears through the trash, pulls stuff out of drawers-only to find it on her study table.
They live in independent care, but I know eventually she'll decline enough that she'll have to move to the "memory unit". I dread that day...
What is worse is, the neuro hasn't told them what they're dealing with...and they wouldn't believe him, anyway.