View Single Post
Old 01-28-2007, 11:13 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Well I have had tooth sensitivity for years and eventually and dentist decided to give me a root canal and then it got infected and I had to have it retreated and then an apicoe done. I then still had discomfort so they root canaled the tooth next door. They were now suggesting another tooth be root canalled so I went to 2 Neurologist for their opinion. They both said TN even though my pain is not stabbing. I have severe sensitivity to hot and cold on one of my back teeth on that side. I also have a general ache around teeth 4&5 almost all the time. At times I have a SEARING pain like a hot iron on the area that has been my main concern. I started the Tegretol around 10 days ago but am now ramping down off of it as I experienced too many side-effects (extreme tiredness and double vision). I went for a third opinion from a DMD who is part of a Oral and Maxillary surgery group who treats many TN patients. He said my symptoms do not sound like TN at all. He is now going to treat me with nortryptline as I also have migraines but on the other side of my head. He has been working on a theory that if you don't have TN you can treat the pain like a migraine and it will work as it has on many of his patients. I start the new med on Monday so I guess wish me luck.
phillyinpain is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote