View Single Post
Old 04-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

There are some metabolic causes of this too.

1) low thyroid functions lead to deposition of a tissue in the periphery that blocks the spaces in the ligaments in the hand and ankle.

2) insulin resistance and pre-diabetes (and also type II diabetes) will cause fluid retention in the hands and feet and squeeze the nerves causing pain/numbness.

3) there are hereditary nerve pressure palsies.

4) too much salt during the day, MSG food additive, or alcohol will do it.

Nerves that are not being nourished properly will give pressure signs as a first signal.... low B12, low essential fat intake (flax and fish like salmon), low magnesium, low potassium all will cause this problem.

Repetitive strain further magnifies the nerve vulnerability.

People with arthritis or gout may have irritated nerves which act this way. Inflammatory cytokines that respond to Ibuprofen or Aleve, point to an inflammatory cause.

If you lift weights, or do turning motions with the wrist over and over during the day, you put further pressure on the small spaces where the nerves and blood vessels go thru to get to the fingers. That is why weight lifters wear those wrist braces.

Females have hormonal issues that can affect the carpal tunnel as well. This is less common for men, obviously. Carpal tunnel can occur during pregnancy for this reason. (this is not your problem ...but others reading here may need to know this too)

I've had carpal tunnel for over 30 yrs. One thing that can still set me off, is gripping the steering wheel of the car for long periods (I have a cover that cushions this now) or tight gloves. Both will make my hands go numb! I use the night braces for tough times. But so far over the years I have avoided surgery. It was totally very bad during my pregnancy however! Back then my whole arms would go numb at night and then burn when they woke up.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote