View Single Post
Old 04-08-2010, 11:05 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

After nearly dying from severe malnutrition caused by a massive Thyroid Storm (I have Hashimoto's - very underactive thyroid; Storms are sudden massive thyroid outputs that destroy other organs), I was switched to MS Contin from the IV Morphine I had been on for weeks to come home. After working with my neurologist for the Storm results that include permanent hand damage (Neurontin), Essential Tremors (Propanalol, Clonazepam, very occasional Valium), sleepiness somnolence (Nuvigil), I was ready for him to add a Pain Clinic.

First thing was no more Morphine. The pain MD replaced it with Opana 20 mg; 1 each a.m. and p.m. We ended up with 2 (40 mg) in the a.m., 1 at night. It works like a charm! Plus no Morphine side affects (rashes, unbearable itching, constipation). Be aware, tho, that I also take 30 mg of Oxy, every 4 hours, as I have for previous back fractures, arthritis, and the new hand neuropothy. The Opana, as with Morphine, does not address the continual, maddening breakthru pain of the neuropathy. We are considering an Opana increase and an Oxy reduction. I am not willing to submit to pain pumps. Opana is definitely worth consideration. I really hope this helps.

PS to back injury people. My tried and true Flexeril for back spasms had to be replaced because of urinary problems from interactions with new med's. I had horrible, negative reactions when we tried Baclafen that I have never experienced before. Dramatic mood swings; laughing one moment, violent crying the next over absolutely nothing. Teriffying nightmares; throwing myself from the bed to the floor while asleep, fully awakening when my husband dashed from the bed to find me sweating, crunched against the wall. Running into the master bath at 4 a.m. (tho I can barely walk), closing/locking the door, turning on the lights. All symptoms disappeared after getting off the Baclafen. It's a ramp up/ramp off med. Do NOT stop it cold!
5280Katie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote