Thread: SSDI and travel
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010, 12:13 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Never once did my disability advocate tell me not to go on vacation. Just because I cant sit at a desk anymore or lift more than 10 pounds or focus on detail work due to pain meds, doesnt mean I cant take my kids to Wisconsin Dells with my husband. I can sit in a hot tub or float down the lazy river. I just dont go in the wave pool or down any slides as it would KILL my neck and back!

I also dont see why a weekend vaca to Vegas would be out of hand. I cant sit or stand or walk for long stretches of time, but I certainly can walk a block or too and then go sit by a slot machine for 20 minutes and then move on. I can manage to sit through a show (although I have to get up once or twice and move around) and I certainly can lie by the pool for a bit.

WC Fraud is usually a much different animal in this case. Although both SSDI and WC are full of frauds I think its a bigger issue with WC as its to companies and their insurance carriers that do not want to pay out...even to people who actually deserve it.

If you're concerned - dont do it. If you're going on vacation and you're doing things you supposedly cant do in your everyday life then maybe you shouldnt have received SSDI in the first place...but if its something as outlined above you should be just fine. Go...relax...do something to make yourself feel better. Get a massage, relax in a hot tub...get away from stress. Use good judegment and common sense and you'll be fine.
Achilles927 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote