View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010, 08:42 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I was actually riding up until a few months before my implant surgery in December...and (thankfully) I'm one of those lucky people who can go for extended periods of time without riding and just jump back on and my muscles all agree with it with no griping and remember exactly what they are supposed to do on a horse!

2Claws, Cyrano turned 30 last month!!! I can't believe my boy is that old and with his size..I'm so amazed that he's lived as long as he has! I've been thinking about getting a harness and cart so that I can drive my mare again..she's been retired for a long time..but she's a trooper and will put up with anything I ask her to do.

Rrae - Boston Scientific, the company who made my implant refuses to give any advice on riding..which I find extremely annoying...my doctor originally said that he didn't think I'd be able to ride again ( that was before my first trial) but has since said that I MAY be able to ride again, but no jumping and absolutely no buckers (hmmm...can someone tell me if there is a way to tell a horse that it absolutely can't buck LOL) I told him that I'd give it exactly 1 year for my implant to scar in then I'm getting back on regardless.

My pain levels have always been much less when I was actively riding on a regular basis so if it gets down to the choice of never riding again and having only 1 of my pains reduced...or riding whenever I want and having all of my pains minimally reduced from the riding...I think I'm going to have the implant pulled and just go back to dealing with it.

I have severe pain in my right leg from lymphedema, pain in my left hip & groin from lymph node dissection surgery that has major scar tissue build up, pain in my left sacro-illiac joint due to degenerative joint disease that was created from improper gait due to uncontrolled pain (oh joy). Originally we had high hopes that the SCS implant would control about 70% of my pain..but sadly, it has only controlled about 70% of the sacro-illiac pain and about 20% of the hip/groin pain. It has done nothing for the left leg which to be honest, was the pain that I wanted gone the most because the alternative treatments I've been getting (RFAs and nerve blocks) aren't working anymore and the SCS was my last ditch attempt to try to control the pain.

I am only at 4 months post op though so I'm still crossing my fingers that things will get better over time and I'm going to go in yet again for an adjustment. I'm hoping they can find at least one new program that might help with the leg pain.
Hicktomboy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Rrae (04-09-2010)