View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010, 09:40 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi, Jaimee. Welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry it's taking you so long to find answers. Not surprised though!

You didn't really say what your symptoms are. Can you? MG is all about muscle weakness that gets worse with activity and better with rest (relatively). Ptosis (toe-sis) is drooping eyelids from muscle weakness. People with MG often have double vision (DV) because their eyelid muscles don't focus properly due to the weak muscles. If you have DV, it will go away when you close one eye (with MG).

Muscle relaxers are a big no-no with people who have MG. Our muscles are already weak. Muscle relaxers make muscles even weaker. So that fits an MG picture. Make sure the neuro knows what happened after you took this drug.

Muscle relaxers often make people nauseated. Any feelings of being nauseous are not MG-related. Any stomach problems are usually not MG-related. Though you need acetylcholine (ah-seat-ill-co-lean) to make stomach acid. A stomach can be upset if you don't have enough stomach acid. Have you seen a gastroenterologist for the stomach upset? Have you been tested for celiac disease?

You may have more than one thing going on, which is not uncommon in people with autoimmune diseases. I have MG and celiac disease.

A neuro appt. usually starts with general questions like what are your symptoms, how did they begin. I would mainly stick to the weakness issue. If you bring up the nausea, etc., and make it a central issue, it may confuse things. Obviously you need to mention it but, like I said, it is not a symptom in MG. Then they usually do a clinical exam, which will include things like pushing against their hands/arms with your legs/feet and arms/shoulders/hands and your neck. They'll check reflexes and sensations, with that tickly little metal tool they have! They may have you walk heel to toe or walk back and forth to look at your gait and look for signs of weakness. I had a doctor only once have me sip water (good doctor). When someone with MG does anything repetitively, like drink, their muscles get weaker.

And then there is the "upward gaze" test. You keep your head still and look upward with your eyes only. Try that at home. Look in the mirror first at your eyelids and the opening of your eye. Then do the upward gaze for about 30 seconds - if you can last that long. Then look in the mirror again. Notice anything different? MG is all about fatigable weakness. Maybe you could do that and have someone take before and after photos at the same angle (from the front). You might be amazed at the difference.

Then the neuro will probably order the Acetylcholine Receptor Antibody Panel (binding, modulating and blocking antibodies). Hopefully they will also order the MuSK antibodies. They may ask if you've had a chest CT and may or may not order one. I would put off being radiated until you have a positive antibody test and/or and EMG. They will often do a repetitive nerve stimulation test (RNS) and a regular EMG. The best doc/MG experts will make sure you have what's called a Single Fiber EMG. Have you had any EMG's?

So that's about it. I hope the appt. goes well. Is it in the morning? Getting less sleep will wear out someone with MG. Walking up and down stairs will too. Being hot makes MG worse. Just don't try to get so worse that you can't walk!

Good luck with the appt.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote