View Single Post
Old 04-10-2010, 07:13 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks guys!
Well I'm not sure about the nausea. It doesn't happen often. Perhaps it is low stomach acid or something. That is definitely not my main concern.

After I had my fourth child I was diagnosed with Bell's Palsy. My eyelid and mouth droop were not noticable to anyone else, but it was so bothersome to me. It felt like I had tiny weights attached to the corner of my eye and mouth. They were very heavy and felt better in the morning and got worse as the day wore on. It lasted for about 2 weeks and then pretty much went away.

It was about a year later when I was working on sign language with my 2 yr old that I noticed I couldn't tighten my left fist as tightly as my right. I thought it was weird, but didn't really worry about it. A week later is when the bizarre waking up without the use of my left side happened. It was so strange. I could walk, but I dragged my left leg and had a hard time doing anything with my arm. It spread to include my right side by the next day and then a few days later, both arms were driving me nuts. I felt like someone had laid a lead blanket across both forearms. I couldn't wash or dry my hair or shave my legs... It was horrible. And I hesitate to use the word "pain" but it can be almost painful. I describe it like when you are lifting weights and you get to that last repetition and you want to just hold it there and get your maximum workout for that last moment... that feeling... sort of almost a burning, overuse of your muscles feeling. Anyway, at the time (this was 3 yrs ago) the Dr had no clue what was going on, I called him frantic over the weekend when my arms started like that (I had already had a head and neck CT) and he said I don't think this will help but I'll call you in some prednisone and we'll see what happens. Oh, it was marvelous! I felt so much better that same day after starting the prednisone. It didn't make it all go away, but the "pain" was gone almost instantly and most of my other symptoms improved rapidly as well. Over the course of 6 weeks it gradually subsided and though I felt weaker overall than I had beforehand, I felt much better for a time after that.

I've had probably 3 more severe episodes like that since that time. Periods of weeks at a time like that. But I have milder versions of those same symptoms almost constantly. Sometimes I will go a few months and feel pretty normal! I love those times. Those are times I can exercise lightly, get all my housework done, pick up my 3yr old in my arms... Normal stuff! But then there's the rest of my life. Not so great. Seems like every time I get a cold or the flu or even allergies... it just sets off whatever this is and it takes so so long to get back to normal. And sometimes it just seems like I get to a "new normal" where I know I am stronger, but definitely not as strong as I was and it just stays at that level for awhile.

I have had episodes of brief choking. I get slurred speech as well when I am having an "episode." My neck frequently bothers me. I can't even really explain that... I used to think it was a fullness feeling in my neck, but it feels better if I bend my head down forward, so I think it may just be that it is week and arching backward? Seems like I go through times where I cough alot in the evening and my voice will be hoarse. This may sound stupid and maybe it has nothing to do with anything, but I sing, and when I'm not feeling well my singing voice is weird... nasal... and I feel like I can't hold my vibrato or make my voice full from my gut like I normally can...

I also have vision issues off an on. Mainly difficulty focusing. I just don't read much when I'm not feeling well. I have had trouble driving as well at times because I will think I see a car backing up in a parking lot, but it's actually not... I think that's one reason I thought there was something related to my equilibrium going on when this first started. I'm just not sure anymore.

I think I will try that eye test at home. I am curious. My Neuro already has a detailed record of everything that has happened because she is the same one I went to 2yrs ago when I pursued a diagnosis of SOMETHING the last time! So hopefully that will be helpful. She diagnosed me with hemiplegic migraine (w/o head pain) then and put me on Topomax (an antiseizure med) and it made me so much worse that I stopped it after a month and never went back. My appt. this time is in the late afternoon. Oh and she has done a head and neck CT but not one specifically for my chest... Will they do that do you think? or can you see the thymus on a neck CT?

I think everybody was confused that last time around because it does seem like my symptoms are all willy nilly with the perceived vertigo and balance issues... I'm just starting to wonder if maybe I misinterpret those things and maybe those symptoms that seem to not match might be rooted in something else...
Jaimee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote