Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nide44 View Post
Not unless its distilled in Ireland !~!
Bob:

Right now, I AM IN PAIN from sciatica. BAD PAIN. I don't so much as take an aspirin for my arthritis because I've learned to live with it for over 20 years. But when I get this sciatica flare-up (last one was YEARS AGO), and it's usually triggered by severe weather changes, and two days ago it was over 85 and yesterday it was WINTER, I thought I would die. I did the heating pad (and oddly enough I was in Dr. Fred's office with Alan for his VNG test and I took a UTI test because last week I had a UTI, but all was well yesterday, no more UTI, and because I was standing up for one hour and observing Alan's VNG test, my mind was not on my sciatica and I wasn't going nuts.

Well!!! last night and this morning, I feel like I weigh 500 lbs. The last time this happened was in 1995 and I was laid up for 2 weeks, and the doctor had given me vicodin and while that takes the pain away, I didn't go to the bathroom AND I DON'T LIKE THAT. While I don't like pain, I more than don't like NOT GOING TO THE BATHROOM.

So my question is. "What the heck can I do to alleviate this pain in my lower back". It came on when the weather went down 25 degrees. Alan had told me two days ago "Melody, you are going to go nuts because the weather is going to drop" He knows that this is what always happens to me. I have no idea why this is so, but since I don't live in the Sahara Desert, I gather this will happen whenever we get this 25 degree drop (which thankfully does not happen very often).

And also, when I walk a few blocks, I straighten up more. But I just came back from Dunkin Donuts and I'm sitting down typing, but right now I want to go lie down with a hot pack on my lower back. I have this microwavable hot pack. It's not a wet thing. Do you think a hot wet thing is better than a dry microwavable hot pack?

I haven't had this kind of flare-up for so long. I eat low-inflammatory foods, etc. I drink PLENTY OF WATER. So why, when the weather drops 25 degrees, my poor back goes crazy, I have no idea.

When I walked into the Dunkin Donuts, my friend behind the counter, Misha, said to me "Oh Melody, you are not the only one, everyone is coming in saying "my back my back".

so I know it's not just me.

So any advice would be welcome. I took two aspirin last night. Did nothing. I slept good for 8 hours (I take melatonin and a small amount of alprazolam). So I sleep just fine.

I know that a sciatica flare up can take either no time to get over or months to get over. I've never had it more than two weeks. Right now, It's two days.

Is there anything I can do to 1. ease it now, and 2. PREVENT IT FROM COMING BACK.

I know, I'm expecting miracles, but geez. First I get rid of a UTI using Silver Biotics, and taking Dmannose for 7 days, and BINGO, I get this sciatica.

I wish I had asked Dr. Fred yesterday for SOMETHING.

Do you think a muscle relaxer would help me? I can call their office on Monday if a muscle relaxer would quite the back spasms. I don't like pain meds so unless I'm dropping dead on the floor, I don't do the oxy or vicodin thing. And I'm afraid of Tylenol and what they say it does to one's liver.

I remember YEARS AGO, when I first got diagnosed with degenerative joint disease and my back was killing me, the doctor at the hospital told me "oh, take 600 mgs of tylenol every 4 hours." I remember doing this, totalling up the amount in my brain after a few days and remarking "what the heck, was this doctor out of her mind, having me take all that tylenol?"

Never took it again. I do mild exercises and stretching, but today, that is not going to happen. At least I don't think so. lol

So any input is appreciated.
Thanks much

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (07-19-2015)