View Single Post
Old 04-10-2010, 06:06 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

erica,

I've looking into the Buffalo U concussion program and am not encouraged by what I saw. It appears to be focused on getting an athlete back on the field as its priority. It does not appear to make any effort at helping the athlete prepare for life after a life changing concussion.

My biggest concern is the risk of a second or third concussion. The graduated exercise sounds worthwhile. It will increase blood flow to the brain. If this can be done at a sub-symptoms threshold, it could be worthwhile. But, the concussion subject must remember, no matter how good you feel and how well you can perform on the treadmill and other exercises, you have a history of concussion.

Depending on your personal circumstances, you are at risk of Second Impact Syndrome that can be deadly, and Multiple Impact Syndrome that is cumulatively disabling. The NFL has found that most of the problems from Multiple Impact Syndrome do not show up until the subject is in their forties.

So, is another year of playing at-risk sports worth the risk of dementia at forty or so. Living with any level of Mild Cognitive Impairment is a real bear. I suffer from it and had a mind freeze just now. I could not recall the word "Impairment," even though I have used it and typed it hundreds of times.

Luckily, I could type in mild cognitive into google and it gave me options to complete my phrase. Getting stuck with 'word finding' in any form, anomia, or any of the aphasias can create social barriers and other life struggles. It is not uncommon for PCS subjects to need circumlocution skills to overcome their aphasias.

They will make a unfound word into a sentence or phrase. Sometimes, they can hide the circumlocution. Other times, it is very evident, like, " I have an appointment to see the man who fixes teeth. I can't remember the word but you know what I mean." The unfound word is "dentist."

The language dementias can be quite humbling. The other memory dementias can also create serious life struggles. I have to go through a rolodex in my mind to remember the names of people I have know for years or even decades. I had to stop driving at 46 years old.

Download Dr Glen Johnson's TBI Survival Guide at www.tbiguide.com. He does a good job of discussing the various symptoms that may become permanent as a result of Multiple Concussion Syndrome.

btw. I suffered a concussion playing soccer as a high school sophomore than forever changed my opportunity to go on to dental school. It was only my third concussion, my other two were during fourth an fifth grade.

Please, consider making your goal finishing and graduating college and going on to life a full life, but not playing another year of soccer.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote