View Single Post
Old 04-10-2010, 10:22 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Mark,

As i've been reading around on different threads, you seem to be a real expert, and I want you to know I appreciate your advice/response. Believe me, I've had those close to me question if whether or not returning to play when and if I get better is the smart thing to do. I will say, I would be completely lost at this point in my life if I just decided to quit; for being an athlete (lacrosse, not soccer) has been my life passion. All of my friends here at school are on my team, and it's all I've ever known.

I've been to two neurologists, one of which assured me that this sub symptom program has worked, for he has administered it himself. You are right- the study is mainly focused on getting athletes better, but at this point I am willing to do ANYTHING that might give me a chance to have my senior year. If and when I do get to return to play, I will be wearing something protective on my head.

I've also been to see Dr. Gioia at the National Childrens Institute in Rockville, MD. He to recommended that I try this program, but made it clear that it is by no means a 100% guaranteed cure. All doctors have assured me that I am not at risk for permanent damage if I return to play. I have had absolutely no issues with memory loss, difficulty concentrating and my brain function was tested both with the Impact test ( I have taken this test repeatedly because it is a requirement at my school, and I took it at the concussion clinic) and some other brain tests that were administered at the concussion clinic as well. All test results pointed to my normal brain function at baseline.

I wanted to share this information with you because you seem to know a tremendous amount about this subject. And again, I appreciate your interest in my story. Just having someone to talk to whose been through something similar just means so much to me.

best,
Erica
erica21 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote