View Single Post
Old 04-10-2010, 10:34 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concussed Scientist View Post
Dear PCSLearner,

I like the question and I think that the first response that there is no "normal" is probably on the mark.

I don't believe that there is one experience of post-concussion syndrome any more than I believe that there is one type of brain, one type of accident or one type of disease. But perhaps there are some common themes. Personally I believe that inefficient recycling of excitatory neurotransmitters might be something that some people with this "syndrome" have in common. Another common theme might be that the older you are the slower healing is. (So that part is good for your daughter anyway.)

My symptoms sound a fair bit different from your daughter's so I suspect that the type of injury might be different, but for comparison here is my pattern:

First few weeks
nausea, headache pretty much all over the head (tight band across top of head, foci of pain varying from top of head to back to forehead, odd touch sensations down sides of head, fogginess, dizziness, difficulty organising, extreme fatigue, persistent neurological spasm of some kind.

After 1 year
Lessening of symptoms

After over 2 years
All symptoms somewhat improved.
Headaches improved on the left side of the head before the right, so there was a time when foci of pain were mainly on the right side. Now the stabbing type of headache has almost gone and I am left with some dull aching over the entire head. Fogginess has improved, Fatigue has improved. No odd touch sensations down sides of head. Nausea only occasionally not all the time. Still have difficulty organising certain things. Fatigue has improved but still more tired than a well person. Still have neurological spasm, perhaps reduced in frequency.

I would love it if these symptoms were the ones that you get one week before complete recovery. However, I suspect that it is more likely that any further improvements will be the very gradual ones that I have experienced so far. Either I will just get to a plateau and always have some problems or the symptoms will gradually fade away over a long time.

It would be nice to hear from people who have made complete recoveries, but I suspect that once that happens they leave this site and never look back.

If I make a complete recovery, I will at least visit and post what happened. It would be nice for others to know what the future might hold.

CS
I was wondering if you could be more specific about the fogginess feeling you had? I am a little over six months with PCS, and sustained the concussion through playing lacrosse. From day one I have had this foggy feeling, but I have never had any issues concentrating- in fact I got my best grades last semester while this was all pretty fresh. I've tried to explain it to people/doctors and they can't seem to figure it out. I always have this sensation like when you first wake up in the morning and things aren't entirely clear. Now it is worse at certain times, but nothing consistent to say "well this is making me foggier!". Like I said, it doesn't hinder thinking/focus at all, but its a weird sensation and sometimes I wonder if it will ever subside?
erica21 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote