View Single Post
Old 04-11-2010, 02:35 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Of course the video leaves out information. It was a 30 min. news program- not a 30 min. program on PD. I was very happy to see this news clip and see the man who could barely walk get out of his wheel chair and ride a bike.

Last December I had to get a wheel chair when I injured my good foot from doing too much while moving and unpacking. I still have the wheel chair and I am glad to have it at times. When I have had a busy day and come home tired, I wheel around my kitchen when I get dinner. When I babysit my grandson and he wants to be picked up, I can put him in my lap and wheel around- he is too heavy for me to carry.

I have been worried that if my insurance company finds out I bike ride and tap dance, they will say I must not need a wheel chair. Now if that should happen, I can point to this news story and show that people with Parkinson's can bike ride and dance and still have need of a wheel chair. Sometimes I come home from a bike ride to see the sunrise and then use the wheel chair to get some more breakfast or I come home from my dance class and then use the wheel chair to get lunch. And yes, I think bike riding is beneficial even if it is not a tandem bike and yes dancing is beneficial. Both help me stay active despite PD. Before I had the wheel chair, I would come home from a bike ride and lay on the couch. Now I can sit down and keep doing things.
Evonne (04-11-2010), jeanb (04-11-2010), RLSmi (04-11-2010), soccertese (04-11-2010)