View Single Post
Old 04-11-2010, 04:34 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclelops View Post
...in their place tho, is an issue with errant solitary dark facial hairs that can pop out and grow an inch overnight!
At least yours are dark. Mine are white, and the light has to catch them just right. Only yesterday the light caught a long white hair dangling from my chin.

Diana, back to your question. At age 49, my doctor yanked the estrogen supplements I had been on since age 24. (I had a hysterectomy young due to endometriosis. But, it kept growing back. So, doc finally said no more estrogen.) I thought I was going to die from hot flashes. Cy is right - there are no supplements that work. I tried them all. What did work was standing in front of the freezer, fanning myself with the door. Several times a night.

Then, a good thing happened - I got PN. Why is that a good thing? The neuro put me on gabapentin. The next time I saw the Gyn, I told him about the miraculous disappearance of hot flashes. He told me it wasn’t a miracle, but gabapentin – it is known to relieve hot flashes, but not approved for treatment of them. So, I was one of the lucky ones, since gabapentin is approved for the treatment of PN.

As proof my Gyn was right: A year later I started a clinical trial of a different drug. The hot flashes returned and I had to endure them through the trial period. As soon as I stopped the trial and started back on gabapentin, the hot flashes stopped – even at the starting dose of 300 mg daily.

All that to say, you might ask your neuro for a small dose of gabapentin.

My SFN story:
plgerrard is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote