View Single Post
Old 04-11-2010, 06:38 AM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Hi PCS Learner: I agree with the others that there is no exact road map to recovery. My head injury was very serious and I've accepted that I will never return to "normal." That said, I have still made more progess than any of the doctors said I would. More importantly, I am still making bits of progress - which they said was impossible. I take the best care I can of myself and I have fought hard to gain access to behavioral and cognitive therapy. The main thing is that I refuse to give up.

Hi Erica and welcome to NT! We all know what you mean when you speak of the "fog." While I'm glad to hear that you have been able to keep up your grades, I caution against being too quick to assume that all is well on the cognitive front. Unfortunately, we TBI folks are often not in the best position to judge our own performance. I knew I was having some issues, but until I had my neuro-psych testing, I had no idea how much things had changed.

Let's hope you've just got some brain fog. One way to help quantify it for the doctors is to keep a symptom journal. When the fogginess seems worse, write down what's happening: Where you were? What did you eat? Did you drink alcohol? Were you exposed to loud music or crowds? What were you doing? What were you doing the day before? etc... Doing that may help you find some triggers. For example, many of us find the fog rolls in with fatigue. I might get away with doing a big task - but watch out the next day.

Cheers
Hockey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mark in Idaho (04-11-2010)