View Single Post
Old 04-11-2010, 08:27 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

I noticed when I was in menopause that certain things would bring on a flash/sweating. Caffeine was one, and sugar another.

Since I follow a low sugar diet and have done so for years, my hot flashes weren't really that bad considering what I have read about others.

The sweats may be worse at night if you don't wear breatheable fabrics. I don't wear flannel anymore, or sweats. I wear that waffle weave stuff, which breathes. Also cover sheets do not breathe either, so I have a light cotton comforter instead. Easy to wash, easier on the feet, and doesn't contribute to night sweats. The other thing that may be happening at night is a big dip in blood sugar...that really does cause sweating. So a protein snack before bed (low carbs) like a protein bar, or cheese or piece of chicken etc, may reduce the sweating. If this works, then you need to get a fasting INSULIN done to see if you are prediabetic. Your glucose blood tests may still be normal in the morning, and won't show the big dip at night during sleep.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote