View Single Post
Old 04-12-2010, 12:36 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Erica.

I have had PCS for 8 years. Stress does being back the symptons - even deciding what to have for dinner when there is more than 2 options manages to "press my buttons". I have had to learn to stay calm and now often walk away from any possible disagreements and avoid having to make decisions when it is possible.

On my bad days it feels that I am losing some of "myself" when I walk away from stressful situations - especially as I was alway the one that was in control and so jolly perfect and of course always right!

I do exercise, but have to avoid any type of exercise that is jerky or involves putting my head below heart level. I am now able to walk at a fast space for approx 6 km, if I over do it I incur the most awful headaches and vomitting. I have tried to play tennis - too jerky. Also was wanting to get back on a squash court but my husband said that he would assault anybody that played against me - I admit that playing squash (think it is similar to raquet ball in the US) would be putting myself at risk of another head injury.

I belonged to a gym for quite some time - my personal trainer worked around the PCS.

Regarding the alcohol - I find that I can't drink anymore - it simply isn't worth it - one glass of red wine equals instant headache and over heats me - my thermo regulation no longer regulates! You can still go out and have fun and not drink. I also calculate how many days it will take for me to recover from a noisey night out and then decide if it is worth it. I know that you will miss your friends - I certainly have found out who my genuine friends are.

Maybe you could consider staying home and not aggravating your PCS an investment in your future! I sure wish that I had stayed home and kept my head in a freezer for 6 months or so instead of trying to continue with my old life.

Eventually you naturally find your own way to cope with the symptons and end up with a new "you". I fought doing this all the way and still do at times.

My psycholgist ( after seeing 3 that told me basically that there was nothing wrong with my brain) told me the following:

Be kind to yourself

What would you be saying to your friend if she was you?

If you have a good day don't go all out and over do things as you can burn out quickly and bring the symptons back.

Each morning write a list of what you want to do for the day then halve it and halve it again.

Keep to a routine and rest

The others have given you good advice - isn't it (sadly) wonderful that others can understand how you are feeling - so good to know that you are not alone. Get rid of your psychologist and find one that believes you.

Good luck

Lynlee

Last edited by Lucy; 04-12-2010 at 12:38 AM. Reason: spelling
Lucy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote