View Single Post
Old 04-12-2010, 06:12 AM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Lynlee is right on the money when she tells you to get a better psychologist. Mine is wonderful and has helped me so much in my (ongoing) transition to my new life. Many of us here were super high achievers and slowing down comes hard for us.

I know it's difficult when you're in university to not party with your friends. However, resting now will make all the difference in how well you recover. It's a good sign that you can already read and watch TV. At the same point, I was still staring blankly and drooling.

Lynlee is also right that you have to pick your physical activity with care. Check out my icon, before my accident I was a super-jock workout maniac. Well, I can't do that excessive, brain jarring stuff anymore. Sadly, if my heart rate gets above a certain point, my head wants to explode. That doesn't mean I'm sitting on the couch. I worked with my PT to find my safe range for excercise. I wear a pulse monitor when I excersise (walking, swimming, weights, stationary bike) and as long as I stay in my PCS happy zone, I'm good.

Mark is so wise when he cautions you not to push yourself too hard at school. Just because you can keep up without some consideration, doesn't mean you should. You are entitled to things like extra time, a quieter test room, etc... and you should take it. As Type A personalities, many of us here made the BIG, BIG, BIG mistake of trying to carry on like nothing had happened. Please don't do that. PCS isn't a weakness to be overcome, it's an injury that need to be respected and accomodated.

Cheers
Hockey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote