View Single Post
Old 04-12-2010, 10:17 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default "You're lucky because you're mild..."

Out of my doctor's mouth today (GP not the neuro... I'm not sure the neuro would say 'mild' with MS).

I have mixed feelings about this statement from my GP. While in 1 sense I'm relieved to hear what I already surmised about my MS at this stage, there's the flip side.

I live in pain daily, and I take expensive medications. My quality of life is worse as a result of having to 1. be in pain constantly 2. take costly medications to try and help this pain.

On top of this, GP refused to fill out a government disability form for a tax break that 1. a tax expert said I was eligible for, even though I work full time, as I have an incurable disease at the end of the day 2. my coworker who's much like myself, working full time and not in chronic pain with MS (she has optic neuritis if in relapse, otherwise she's not as affected on a day to day basis with her symptoms) took this same document to her GP, who said yes, as a person with MS, you're eligible even if you're working full time. Just having the diagnosis qualifies you.

Ok, I'm mad because she got a lot of money back, I still pay out the yang for medications and nearly paid in this year to taxes (go go retirement savings). And I still feel crummy daily!

I wish there was consistency.

I'm not so lucky because I'm mild, after all. Am I?

Sorry to rant. Just shaking my head at this. I'll take the stuff to the neuro in July and see what's up then. Maybe he'll be glad to fill it out.
05/2008 - Relapse
05/2008 to 02/2009 - Copaxone
10/2011 - Relapse - Optic Neuritis developed
9/2012 - Relapse - Balance issues 1 sided
8/2012 - Erythema Nodosum - diagnosed 10/2012, reaction to Topiramate (Topamax)
April 7/14 - Raynaud's Syndrome DX
dmplaura is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
barb02 (04-12-2010), Debbie D (04-12-2010), karousel (04-12-2010), Lady (04-13-2010), SallyC (04-12-2010), Twinkletoes (04-12-2010)