View Single Post
Old 04-12-2010, 11:19 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hey Laura,

It's really unfair that some people claim the disability tax credit when they shouldn't. It just means their doctor was willing to lie for them. The federal disability tax credit is based on personal care, not ability to work. You have to be unable to perform the acts of daily living like dressing, feeding, walking for example. If you are unable to walk very far, even with assistance, you would qualify. They don't take into consideration the type of illness; just severity and duration. It all hinges on how the doctor fills out the form.

It's really easy to get it if you qualify. My mom qualified, because even with a walker, she can barely walk. My MIL qualified because of severe COPD which restricts her walking distance although she can walk perfectly well. My SIL is on dialysis, which is an automatic qualification even though she, in theory, could still work if she didn't have other issues.

If you go cra.gc.ca and type in disability tax credit on the search bar, you can download the form which details the criteria you have to meet.

Although it does sucks that you can't get a break and you work with someone who is clearly cheating the system, I don't think you'd want to truly qualify as that would suck even more! On the brighter side, you have an ethical GP!

C
CarolM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
dmplaura (04-12-2010)