View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010, 10:44 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile Mestinon causing stress?

Thanks for the info about Graves disease, it is possible that I am developing something new and the symptoms are similar but I am lacking in many of the symptoms on the lists I read for Graves. Still, it is possible...

I did talk to my pharmacist and my regular doctor over the phone, and this is the conclusion from both of them:

The symptoms I have of rapid heartbeat, tenseness and nervousness are not listed as a side effect of Mestinon, but most likely it IS the Mestinon causing my symptoms along with an emotional part (stress or even some kind of expectation of getting these symptoms). I am told that these symptoms are what doctors call Panic Attacks. It was recommended to me to try relaxing when I take Mestinon to see if that helps, to avoid work and any type of stress for at least a half an hour after I take Mestinon.

Initially they both thought that I was drinking too much coffee, but I am not. In fact I have been mostly avoiding coffee and tea for a few months now.

The funny thing is that both the pharmacist and the general doctor said that my neurologist should know more about Mestinon that they do, and it was recommended to talk to my Neuro about it. They all say to talk to someone else! Sound familiar?

From my experiences with Mestinon, I agree with them that the Mestinon is stimulating my muscles and making me nervous after I take it. I am very sensitive to medicine. I was told by the pharmacist that although my symptoms are not listed for Mestinon, I am probably one of the rare people that experience these side effects.

The relaxing seems to be working, but it is so hard to do nothing. I am considering learning meditation or yoga or something else that is slow and non stressful. Maybe I will use this rest time to read a book. I do see that I will probably always have to rest with Mestinon.

Then again, since I have to work, when will I find time to learn any method of stress reduction?

Oh, and I almost forgot, I do get this "Panic Attack" thing every time after I do extra work...I don't seem to be able to work more than two days per week without getting this problem. This happened last time I worked extra days and then it slowly faded and I went back to regular MG...I hate MG.

Is it possible that the Mestinon is causing damage to my body?

So, my conclusion is that I really shouldn't work more than two days per week and that I should go to the doctor to get my heart checked out along with a regular physical checkup just to be sure and ask about my thyroid too.

I am so confused about this. How can I have MG weakness and also have my body get so tense.

It is mostly the morning Mestinon pill that I have to be careful about. This is the one that can cause me the most tenseness when I take it. Maybe I need to modify my pill schedule and skip the morning Mestinon.

I definitely need a new neuro, I really need a doctor to help figure this out.

QUESTION: For those of you that take Mestinon, how often do you have to modify your Mestinon dosage or schedule?

DesertFlower is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote