Thread: In Remembrance
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010, 10:19 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyB View Post
James Koelling

A memorial service will be held Saturday for James R. Koelling of Eugene, who died Jan. 3 of complications from Lou Gehrig’s disease. He was 72.

He was born April 30, 1935, in Burlington, Iowa, to Esther and the Rev. Albert Koelling. He married Kathryn Ann Jacobson on March 14, 1964, in Eugene.

He served in the U.S. Army from 1959 to 1962, spending one year in Korea and two years at Fort Bliss in the 424th Army Band. He worked for Southern Pacific Railroad for 35 years, retiring in 1997 as an engineer.

Survivors include his wife; a son, Alan of Portland; a daughter, Ann Reeder of Eugene; two sisters, Elizabeth Lewis of Pleasant Hill, Tenn., and Margaret Glandon of Newark, Del.; two brothers, Robert of Santa Monica, Calif., and John of Eugene; and four grandchildren.

Saturday’s service will be at noon at Central Presbyterian Church. Arrangements by Musgrove Family Mortuary, Eugene. Remembrances to Central Presbyterian Church or ALS Association of Oregon and Southwest Washington.
I was in the 424th Army Band from 1960-62. I think Jim was my squad leader. The Jim I knew bought a new Volkswagon while he was at Ft. Bliss. I had many good times with Jim. He was a great guy! Our Warrant Office was Richard Shelton---I think. Please write back and let me know if this is the same Jim I knew. Thank you! Wilbur E. Haggerty
haggertyw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (10-24-2012), tamiloo (04-20-2010)