View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010, 12:30 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default My dizziness

Hi Becca,

I also have dizziness that accompanies the other symptoms of PCS. Like you I noticed that the dizziness did not seem to change when other symptoms made some improvements.

The dizziness that I have was never my worst symptom, not by a long way. I could say that it is the symptom that bothers me the least.

I do not have any problems with my vision fortunately so my vision keeps me balanced pretty well but if it is dark or if I shut my eyes then it is noticeable. Walking in a straight line is more difficult than it should be. My dizziness is generally associated with movement. If I am sitting still I feel completely stable. I don't have classical vertigo with the room spinning round.

One test of the vestibular system is Unterberger's Sign.
This involves walking on the spot with your hands clasped and out in front of you. You should be able to do this with eyes open. However, when you shut your eyes and keep walking on the spot you may notice that you rotate in one characteristic direction. This generally indicates the direction of the problem in your vestibular system. I rotate to the left. It is very reproducible.

Try it. Probably best to do it with someone else present to prevent you from bumping into things. Also, it has to be done without any way of orientation when you shut your eyes. So, no sound coming from any particular direction e.g. someone talking to you. Nothing that you can feel on the floor with your feet e.g. a slope. All those things will render the test useless because you will just follow the subconcious cues. But if done properly, I think that it is a good test of whether there is something wrong with your vestibular system.

CS
Concussed Scientist is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BeccaP (04-16-2010), chingas (03-25-2012)