View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010, 02:35 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Azilect and Effexor...NOT a Good Combination!

I was just discussing my prescriptions with my mail order pharmacy and trying to see if I could save money by having more of my prescriptions filled through mail order. I typically have my Venlafaxine(Effexor) filled at my local pharmacy, but now that I have been on it for awhile and don't need to tinker with the dosage anymore, I thought it would be less expensive to get that through mail order as well. I just started on the Azilect a month ago and I have been using samples from my doctors office. I was talking to the mail order pharmacist about whether or not the Azilect was covered under my plan. It is covered, but she said that it isn't recommended to take Azilect and Effexor together because of a possible interaction. My neuro is aware that I am taking Effexor, but didn't mention any possible interaction. The pharmacist was very concerned. She told me some of the symptoms of the possible interaction. They are things that I mentioned to the MA when she checked me in at my last appointment. My blood pressure was a little higher than normal and my pulse was higher as well. It has been around 100 at rest when I check it. I also was concerned with having the sweats. My face and upper body will get so sweaty at times throughout the day. I mentioned all of that when I was checked in at my last appointment. I called my Neuro's office and left a message for him. I spoke with the same MA that had checked me in at my last appointment. She remembered me discussing those things with her. She is going to let the doctor know and somebody will get back to me. Has this happened with anybody else?

I have heard that it is hell getting off of Effexor. That is a little concerning to me. I am willing to go off and try a different anti depressant. Honestly, the Effexor hasn't been all that great. I feel less depressed, but I have more of an emotionally flat feeling than anything else. I would love to find a medication that makes me actually able to feel really HAPPY. Maybe this med change will give me that opportunity.

I know that rather than changing my antidepressant, I could choose to drop the Azilect. I would rather stay on the Azilect because of the possibility of neuroprotection. I am going to be 35 on Saturday. I have a long time to deal with PD and I want to keep as much of my dopamine around as possible.

Any advice or stories to share? Prayers would be appreciated. This kind of stuff just makes my head hurt!

Thanks,

Evonne
Evonne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote