View Single Post
Old 04-15-2010, 02:10 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Has anyone heard of CRPS starting like this?

My 15 year old daughter has been in remission from CRPS of her thumb up to her shoulder for 3 years.

2 months ago she woke up in the middle of the night with extreme lower right quadrant abdominal pain and right side back pain. She has been tested for just about everything. Appendicitis was the main worry. She has had 2 CT scans, 2 xrays, 2 ultrasounds, colonoscopy, endoscopy & loads of blood work.

Because of all this testing the do not believe it is her appendix, kidneys, liver, gallbladder.

1 week after the onset of pain, she woke up with broken blood vessels all over her stomach & in her armpits. The rash disappeared after a couple days. She still occasionally will get a couple dots of the rash but nothing like the first time. After the rash she was tested for lupus, lymphoma, etc.

One month after the onset of pain she complained of her "brain burning". She says it feels like the inside of her head "her brain" is on fire (top back of her head). This symptom is still with her but it happens only occasionally.

Her abdominal pain has never left her. She describes it as a constant dull pain (pains scale of 5) and stabbing pains (pain scale of 9). The stabbing pains happen a lot but are not constant like the dull pain.

She has seen her pediatrician, general doctor, gastro doctor, rhuematogist, hemotologist,& infectious disease doc. Nobody can find anything wrong.

She is going to see her pain management do at UCLA soon. Over the phone she told me that it is probably CRPS.

MY problem with accepting this diagnosis is: There was no trauma. She just woke up in pain. The broken blood vessels don't sound like CRPS. Her skin is not hypersensitive. I have her do sit ups & it only mildly makes it hurt worse.

Both my daughters have had 2 major bouts of CRPS so I am very familiar with how it usually behaves. I know it can go internally but I just don't know if this is CRPS.

~Lisa
bajntime is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote