View Single Post
Old 04-15-2010, 06:13 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concussed Scientist View Post
I have noticed a problem with the good advice to take loads of rest (thanks for that, Tangje). The problem that I have is how to make a living when I am taking rest. I don't have any savings to fall back on so I basically have to work to pay the rent and feed myself.

I expect some of the rest of you can relate to this. I wonder how much having to work for a living is slowing our recovery. I don't feel that I can just take a year off and relax and stay out of debt.

I am trying to think of jobs that aren't too taxing on the brain but then you get to do minimum wage jobs that could be even more of a hassle. Has anyone solved this problem?

CS
Hi CS,

This is a very difficult issue to address. I think that working can be okay depending on the task. The problem is that with an MTBI/PCS, as I'm sure you already know, is that your tolerance for stress is much lower and unfortunately stress can really hinder recovery. In my case I tried to continue working in the lab for 3 months after my injury, dialed it back to working on the computer at home for 5 months, and then finally realized that trying to work was doing more harm than good, which led to a 5 month leave of absence.

As far as finances are concerned, I would certainly look into government disability benefits/insurance that might be available to you. Depending what you were doing for work prior to your injury you might be eligible for some support (granted it might not be a lot). I appreciate that this can be quite a serious problem as you have to delicately balance your health and finances. I would try to recruit help from a family member or friend to figure out what your options are as the stress involved in trying to do it all yourself would certainly be a negative impact on your recovery.
tangje is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Concussed Scientist (04-28-2010), Hockey (04-16-2010)