View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 12:42 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlhperry View Post
Face the facts. Parkinson's disease affects every aspect of a person's health. Tremors, ridgidity, cogwheeling, are only the primary symptoms of this insidious disease. The disease is not a disease per se, but a collection of symptoms diagnosed by an experienced movement disorder physician. Movement disorders are the only symptoms used to diagnose the disease but they are just the tip of the iceburg.

Please check out the following site:

http://www.clognition.org/

The person who created this site has received awards for her honest, forthright, analysis of other mental health affects of our illness. She also has suffered the illness herself for many years.

Many of us must give up our dreams if they conflict with the safety of the public. Perhaps your friend would consider using her degree in a non public career such as research. I emphasize for your friend and the many others who worked so hard to obtain the credentials to help society, but are now prevented by any disability. Your friend also would enjoy her job, but her health is important. The stress of being a pediatrician is tremendous.

Life just is not fair!!!!!
There really is nothing in the original post that states that this individual is not competent or that her condition is in "conflict with the safety of the public". She has PD. I was diagnosed with YOPD after having completed my residency and therefore had this diagnosis since the beginning of my career. I had a busy, essentially full time, successful practice for 12 years through all the daily trials that PD presented. I, myself decided to take a break due to the stress of balancing family, home, career and health. And some aspects were becoming more difficult for me, not my patients. If someone had told me a decade ago that I could no longer practice or that I would have had to be monitored by another physician, it would have been ludicrous! PD in and of itself should not be a diagnosis that precludes this or any similar career.
Soania is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote