View Single Post
Old 01-29-2007, 12:53 PM
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member

Hi,

I just came across this post while browsing new posts~ and can't pass by something on the BBB without mentioning the relatively new discovery of zonulin, a protein that regulates the intestinal and blood brain barriers.

Quote:
"Our current platform is based upon the discovery of zonulin, a paracrine signaling protein that regulates the paracellular permeability of cell barriers throughout the body. Epithelial and endothelial cell layers serve as barriers between body compartments and the environment, maintaining gradients and regulating substance and cellular exchange between these spaces. Physical barrier function is provided by the cells themselves and by a key "gate" that exists between the cells, the tight junction. Found in humans and other mammals, zonulin serves the function of transiently, physiologically and reversibly opening these tight junctions, which are present in barriers as diverse as the intestinal mucosa and the blood-brain barrier.
http://www.albatherapeutics.com/scie...ogy/index.html
People with autoimmune diseases like celiac disease, diabetes, and ms... have been found to have increased levels of zonulin (associated with leaky gut and possibly 'leaky brain')... and it may be implicated in some other neurological condtions as well. Too early to know.

A zonulin blocker (ABOVE) is actually in development, now, and showing promise for both celiac disease and diabetes. I've also read they hope this research may lead to the developement of other drugs which may control the BBB...possibly open it for a controlled period to allow other drug treatments to pass the barrier.

Most of the zonulin research seems centered on the intestinal barrier, but here is one about the BBB~
Affinity purification and partial characterization of the zonulin/zonula occludens toxin (Zot) receptor from human brain. PMID: 10617135 Jan 2000

And here is a user friendly explanation:
http://www.autism-pdd.net/bloodbrain.html

And this study seems to say that gliadin (gluten..found in wheat, barley, rye) activiates zonulin signaling in everyone, although moreso in those with celiac disease.

CONCLUSIONS: Based on our results, we concluded that gliadin activates zonulin signaling irrespective of the genetic expression of autoimmunity, leading to increased intestinal permeability to macromolecules.
Gliadin, zonulin and gut permeability: Effects on celiac and non-celiac intestinal mucosa and intestinal cell lines. PMID: 16635908 April 2006

In any case, I have no idea if this is something of interest..and my understanding of it is quite limited... but you may want to keep your ears open for more research on zonulin and the BBB. I have not seen anything that connects Parkinson's Disease with zonulin research, but zonulin is relative to the BBB. Here is list of the most of the zonulin related studies to date~ Zonulin

Food for thought~

Cara

Last edited by jccgf; 01-29-2007 at 08:54 PM.
jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote