Thread: post concussion
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 03:07 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Hello

Hello erica21 and muddyriver!

I recently came across this forum looking for information about PCS. I read both your stories and found I have had similar experiences to both of you, and was hoping to share my progress as well as follow along with your progress for some support! If you're interested, here my is my story:

I am 21 years old from Ontario, Canada, and I am a University hockey player just finishing my third year of school.

In February 2009 and again in November 2009 I was in two car accidents. The first accident we were rear-ended from behind, and I assume some whiplash was involved. In the second, we were hit from the side. Neither of these accidents involved any major problems, although I imagine they do have some significance in my current problems.

During February of 2009 while playing hockey I slide into the post with my neck/top of my shoulder, and they believe it was a "stinger" where basically my body stopped but my head kept going. While no serious damage was caused, I have frequently had problems with muscle tightness/soreness in that area.

In early November of 2009, I sustained a concussion when I got hit and fell backwards into where the boards met the ice at a very awkward angle. I never really thought much of it, and at therapy the next day for my neck I was told to talk to our team doctor just to make sure my head was okay. She told me to "take it easy" for the next week, but never specifically said I wasn't allowed to play, so I ended up playing the following weekend, even though I did lie about my symptoms. I never took any bad hits during that next game, but it ended up making all my symptoms come back much worse. My school uses ImPACT testing (a computer based program that measures memory, reaction, speed, etc) and compares your post-concussive scores to your baseline scores. I ended up doing poorly on this test, and so I sat out again for a few weeks until my symptoms did seem to improve, although again I was trying to rush back into the game and I think I fooled myself into believing I was ready. After a few weeks, my head symptoms weren't too serious, but I started getting some pretty bad back pain which didn't seem to have any cause. Some doctors think it may be a symptom of my concussion.

We had no games over the month of December, only some light training but I was told to sit out because of my back problems. I returned to play at the beginning of January, played a few weeks, and then was out again for the rest of the season because of some signs my coaches noticed that they didn't think was right, and indeed some of my symptoms had come back. I have not been allowed to do any sort of training since the end of January, and despite all these restrictions I have noticed no improvement. I can't say that any of my symptoms are anything too serious, but they are constantly there and that makes me nervous to return to play too quickly because I don't want to have another season like this next year. Currently, I am experiencing headaches, dizziness, sleep problems (I was prescribed medication, but was skeptical about it and never ended up using it), minor nausea and memory/concentration problems.

This year was the first time I've ever had to deal with serious problems from concussions, though one doctor told me she could tell I have had many over my life, just by feeling the pressure in my head (I have no idea if that is legit or not?). Anyways, I have seen countless doctors, therapists, osteopath, chiropractor, neurologist, etc. and never get anywhere with anyone. Erica, I feel the same way you do - as a varsity athlete I am fortunate to have a medical staff available to me, but I am frustrated with the way everything is being handled. They all seem to tell me different things, or I never really get anywhere with their suggestions. I have never had any image testing done, such as an MRI or a CT scan, despite the fact some people think it might be helpful. I am really interested in this gradual exercise approach you two are discussing, however I am in Ontario, a few hours from Buffalo so I don't think I would be able to take advantage of this research program. Can you guys fill me in on the program you are currently trying to get involved in? I am really tempted to start something like this by myself (or do you think it is a bad idea?) because I am not getting anywhere with all the "experts" I have been seeing. I am pretty much terrified of returning to activity too soon and dealing with these problems again, but at the same time I really want to try this approach. What do you guys think?

Thanks so much for listening to my story I look forward to hearing about your progress!

Kelly
kellym.14 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote