Thread: post concussion
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2010, 10:55 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Kelly,

The ImPACT test is a mini-neuro-psych assessment that needs a baseline to establish you current condition. A full post concussion neuro-psych assessment will be able to validate your symptoms and quantify your dysfunctions.

The ImPACT is not designed to be a comprehensive neuro-psych assessment. The biggest weakness of the ImPACT test is simple. It does not provide any data as to how resilient your brain is to any future impacts.

As Hockey said. You are at risk of exacerbating Multiple Concussion Syndrome by continuing to play. MCS is a very serious condition. I have not had a serious concussion in over 45 years yet my very minor concussions have left me with serious disabilities. The serious problems from MCS show up in your 40's. It is impossible to predict how your brain will function in later life.

I have had 13 notable concussions. One severe in 1965. Two moderate concussions and 10 minor to very minor concussions. I can now get a concussion from a quick head movement.

So, You have some serious thinking to do. What price are you willing to pay later for another season of play now? Only you can make this decision. If you do a bit of research, like NFL football players who have serious dementia in their 40's, you will get a better picture of what your risks are.

Do you want to ride this roller coaster of symptoms for the rest of your life? Or do you want to slow down, take it easy, and try to regain some semblance of a normal life without at risk sports?

It is a very hard decision but a necessary decision. You will find plenty of people here who will support a decision to slow down and try to regain some 'normal.'

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hockey (04-17-2010), kellym.14 (04-18-2010)