View Single Post
Old 04-18-2010, 05:40 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfei57 View Post
Is a discogram painful to have done I have two torn disc and the pain doc wants to do a discogram
I had a discogram done prior to surgery ordered by ortho surgeon. YES it was very painful and I thought I had a high pain tolerance. I will tell you that when I went for pre-op with Neuro surgeon he told me that I should not have been put through a discogram as he confirmed what it did by placing his finger under my left big toe and having me try to push against his finger with toe. When I did this my toe was like a limp noodle. it went all the way down against his finger. he then pricked my toe and I could feel nothing. He took my toe and wiggled it around and I was in shock that it was as it was i had no clue. He said that my big toe was dead and this confirmed that L5 was gone. so you may go to a neurosurgeon and see what he if he does the toe exam. I spiked a temp on the 4th day and they had me get to the hospital and admitted me as they thought I may have spinal infection from the discogram. I was kept in for 24 hrs. Had surgery 2weeks later and Iam 6 mo's post-op and going in for hardware removal and granulation tissue removal on the 27th of this month and Iam scared witless. I had to have hardware injections to confirm if it was the hardware that was causing an increase in pain and it confirmed even more. I will say that the discogram was painful, but It is good when a surgeon wants these test done before they do surgery to make sure there is just cause for surgery. Good Luck and I will keep you in my prayers and keep us posted on your decision and or outcome.
kmarie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote