View Single Post
Old 01-29-2007, 04:35 PM
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member

Hi Ron,

Zonulin does open the pathways... so increased levels of zonulin lead to more open spaces~ leaky gut / leaky brain.

The drug currently in development, AT-1001, is a zonulin blocker. It's function is to block zonulin thereby tightening up the leaky gut. As I said, most of the research moving forward is in regard to the intestinal barrier and autoimmune disease (celiac and diabetes to date, but may be applicable to other autoimmune and other neurologic conditions in the future).

Since zonulin does regulate the BBB as well, a zonulin blocking drug may possibly prove to be useful in other conditions that may be caused by a "leaky brain" (some I've seen mentioned are autism, MS, Alzheimers, gluten ataxia, etc). This research is new, in its infancy, and as I said, at the moment seems to be focused on the gut barrier...not the brain barrier.

In the future, this may lead to development of other drugs that will allow control over the BBB, to open or close it. The current drug being worked on, though.. is working to close the intestinal barrier.

Quote:
April 03, 2006
Alba Therapeutics Corporation Completes Phase I for AT-1001
BALTIMORE
Alba Therapeutics Corporation today announced the successful completion of multidose safety studies in normal volunteers, concluding Phase I trials for its lead compound, oral AT-1001. Combined with Alba's previous single dose study and Phase Ib demonstration of intestinal permeability decrease in gluten-challenged celiac disease patients, this safety data brings the company closer to its goal of delivering an autoimmune treatment based upon modulation of mucosal barrier function. "We look forward to filing a diabetes IND and to entering Phase II trials for celiac disease as early as this summer," stated Dr. Blake Paterson, CEO of Alba, "and continue to develop the breadth of our core technology platform for multiple applications."

What is interesting about the one study I posted above...
Gliadin, zonulin and gut permeability: Effects on celiac and non-celiac intestinal mucosa and intestinal cell lines. PMID: 16635908 April 2006
is that it appears gluten/gliadin (found in wheat, rye, barley) increases zonulin levels in both celiacs and non-celiac patients. Can you see where I'm going? Could gluten play a role in leaky gut or leaky brain... even in patients without celiac disease? OK..I'm pushing ahead of the research now..but there is so much they don't know yet!

Gluten sensitivity (even without celiac disease) is responsible for wide ranging neurological problems~ gluten ataxia, peripheral neuropathy, myoclonus, and much more... and the research is so early on all of this. There are a few of us on the gluten sensitivity forum, who do not have celiac disease, but would love to have our zonulin levels tested!

But... in any case... This new zonulin blocking drug appears to be working to close the leaky gut. Will it also work to close the leaky brain? I'm not sure the research has focused on that yet.

Cara

P.S. Thanks reverett... I remember we have compared notes in the past. This zonulin discovery, and the development of this zonulin blocking drug, is something to be watched. Can you imagine if it is successful to prevent the developement of diabetes in susceptible patients? It has worked in rats.. now, onto human studies.

And what about the BBB??? Will it also shore that up? I honestly don't think the research has looked at that yet, other than to say that zonulin levels also regulate the BBB.

Last edited by jccgf; 01-29-2007 at 09:24 PM.
jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote