View Single Post
Old 04-19-2010, 10:07 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
About a year ago I got a cortisone shot to the shoulder from an othro who has tuned out to be a complete jerk. The shot was way more painful than it should have been. Thought is he probably injected into a frozen/inflammed area that made it worse, that the cortison crystallizes which causes more inflammation, that the shot and this frozen shoulder caused RSd in the left shoulder.
Shelly, I have never had a cortisone shot that did not hurt way more than it was supposed to.

Quote:
Funny thing is the range got better and the frozen aspect got better from the shot. But the pain got worse. I got more range lifting up and am probably at 160 degree which is good. Internal rotation is decent but external rotation is still bad. And then I did some more shots and range improved but pain got worse. The more the range improves, the less diffuse the pain and the more acute and localized it is.
I am probably at 160 too, but with arms overhead my trunk has poor side bending. In yoga they showed me how to do the same side bend with hands in prayer position. The side bending range increases dramatically.

Quote:
He heard a neurosurgeon talk about this impingement and how it is more common than thought and grossly underdiagnosed. Google it and you will read its really rare or just really underdiagnosed. I read one article that said it affects people that carry heavy loads on their shoulders. And all my problems did begin after carrying extremely heavy luggage on both shoulders for some consecutive trips. And the fall during the frozen shoulder jammed that poor little nerve into the notch where it is impinged even further.
Hay, saddles, and book bags were a heavy load way of life for me back then.

Quote:
So I might not be one of all of you after all. Just maybe a psuedo TOS patient with TOS like pain caused by a shoulder nerve impingement that is considered rare but may just be overlooked.
The opinion I listened to in deciding not to have surgery was that I don't have TOS or I have it but a very mild form.

Quote:
Hope I can still hang with all of ya . Will keep ya posted as to how this develops.
I hope you do and I hope I can too!
tied is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
(Broken Wings) (04-22-2010), Jomar (04-19-2010), Twinkletoes (04-19-2010)