View Single Post
Old 04-19-2010, 06:18 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused Nuropathy post valve replacement/quad CABG

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnelliot View Post
I am 10 days post cardiac bypass-quintuple. While there are expected issues, will resolve over time, I am experiencing numbness in my left hands - pinky and ring finger, with ocassional discomfort in my left forearm. Does anyone have expience in this are? Should I be expecting long or short term resolution?

Thanks.
I had mitral and aortic valves replaced and a quad by-pass. Surgery was complicated and I was on by-pass (profusion) 10 hours. I became aware of myself 28 days later when I awoke in a rehabilitation facility. I was released April 6th and returned home.

A "conduction" test showed impairment of the ulnar nerve where it passes through (the elbow pinky finger and outside of left hand) as well as some impairment due to swelling in carpal tunnel (should clear without intervention) that is causing numbness and tingling of the pointing finger.

In my case, the ulnar nerve was damaged while fighting restraints, which I do not remember. It is difficult to spread my fingers, and lifting them against mild resistance is difficult. Physical therapy seems to be helping, if I don't have defined relief in 30 days, I am to contact a Neurologist.

I have other areas of neuropathy above both knees, at both calfs and both ankles. The calfs and ankles have responded to physical therapy.

Good luck and hope this helps some.

Brewer
Leggetb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote