View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010, 04:53 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicknerd View Post
Kathie,

Yes, same here! I always used to say/believe that the only thing not affected by the MG was the old legs....As soon as I started prednisone (60mgs), it felt like my legs weighed a ton...Not only that, but my tongue was like a floppy dead fish in my mouth-colouress, and unbelievably weak...

Eventually, the pred. helped mestinon work more effectively for me (for tongue and such), but there are weak areas (like hips) that haven't quite recovered as I'm weaning down (now @ 20 mgs EOD)...I'm doing a lot of aerobic and weight lifting, but I can tell that it'll take time to get back to normal...Also, I have cellulite everywhere- like in my calves! lol...What gives? And I have extremely bad posture you like you can't even imagine...

I also think that prednisone contributes to these problems because, well for me, I couldn't function...My cognitive abilities, the dizziness, the heart palps., the raging lunatic feelings, excessive tiredness- just makes you feel like not doing anything, especially when I was at 80mgs....@ 80mgs, I couldn't even drive...I felt like I almost didn't know how, and I'd get these spells where it felt like I was having a heart attack- I'd start sweating profusely, and would would feel confused, disoriented...I think that was due to blood sugar because I'd be starving, and end up devouring a bagel (or anything I could get my hands on)...

All in all, at lower doses (like around 20mgs) it's bad....But at higher, it can be really bad and it just wasn't worth it to me at all...

Kathy...I can relate to absolutely everything you've said...The hairloss, the skin problems...I got ring worm on my chest! I also have a fatty torso that's very difficult to exercise away...At least if the fat were distributed evenly, it would be alright...But it's like little blobs of fat...I didn't have thrush, but i got cavities...I also have had the wheezing and such...oh, and acid reflux like no one's business...

The list just goes on and on...It's not a medicine where 10% of people might experience the following...It's a medicine where you have Cushing's disease, and get the full array of problems...

One more thing...I had a sternotomy for thymoma back in AUgust, and saw my surgeon last week for a follow-up...He says taht he believes that due to the high dose of prednisone I was on, it'll take a year, as opposed to the normal 6-weeks for my sternum to heal...I told him that I had been doing push ups and I can hear/feel my sternum sorta cracking...He doesn't think it's healed...Scary, or what? I feel mad about this, especially since I begged to not take this medicine...But that's how things have gone, and I gotta live with it!
Nickerd....LOL....I couldn't help but laugh reading your response. You named some side effects I had forgotten about. Oh gosh! I have "the hump" on the back, but they said not Cushing's. I could hardly get out of bed and walk on the 60 mg. and when I tried to go to the store, I turned around and went back home. It was weeks that my husband had to do that chore! I was told that women my age wouldn't have a thynoma. I am 60 and was 59 when diagnosed. Can they tell by doing a chest x-ray whether you have one or not? Right where the thynoma would be I have a swollen like lump. The dr. doesn't comment one way or another. So..... I know what you feel about eating. It is like you are two different people and one of you knows you shouldn't and the other person says EAT! Depression has been awful on this stuff. I still work, but have to catch myself from being too hasty in saying something that I would want to take back. I have night sweats something awful. I wake us during the night and every morning with a wet head and nightgown. I want to exercise, but am just too tired when I get home to do so. I just want to sit. When I stand up my legs feel like they don't want to move or carry me. You take care of yourself and don't overwork your sternum! KG
Kathie Glenn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote