View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010, 07:17 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi No tbi and welcome to our little brain boo boo club.

We all understand the pain you're feeling over your lost intellectual capacity. A tbi strikes at the very essence of our identity.

How recent is your injury? You sound like you are in a deep period of mourning. I am three years out and still struggling not to compare old me with new (but definitely not improved) me.

I have to admit that I don't buy the stuff about this being a new beginning I should embrace. It sucks - but I'm stuck with it and I have to make do.

For me, I find it helps not to give up. I have done a lot of cognitive, physical and speech therapy and I am functioning a lot better than before. I won't lie to you, it's hard to get excited over being able to count backwards when you used to have a highly skilled job and a bright future.

Still, the therapy I've done has made my daily life less frustrating and more bearable. I also refuse to give up hope that there will be better treatments in the future - and I want to be ready for them.

Also, try not to underestimate your potential for recovey. A member here told me that Abraham Lincoln had suffered a serious tbi before becoming President. I try to remember that when I'm struggling.

Cheers
Hockey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Theta Z (10-05-2012), vini (04-21-2010)