View Single Post
Old 04-21-2010, 10:45 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hey, Kaitlyn!

Ugh...so sorry about your accident.

I'm not sure if you've gone to your neuro or not, but when you do please make sure you are incredibly honest with him/her about your symptoms before and after your recent injury.

Request all the testing people on this forum suggest, such as: full blood panel (including hormones, adrenal function, thyroid, etc); get a referral to a neuro opthamologist; get a referral for a dentist to check your jaw for TMJ; make sure whoever is treating your neck/back injuries is aware of your previous and current head injuries and is experienced in treating head injuries. Finally make sure you get a referral to an ENT to check out your vestibular system (very complicated ear-type stuff) and ask for a neuro-psych assessment by a qualified neuro psychologist.

In other words, try get your whole body checked over so that you can be sure to take care of any underlying problems that might be interfering with your body's ability to heal. It seems like a lot to manage, and it takes a lot of organizing and time, but it will be worth it.

As for the medications you have been working on to address sleep, depression, etc: DO NOT underestimate how powerful those meds are. If you are going on and off of them, mixing them, etc., you need to be carefully monitored by your doctor. My daughter is close to your age I think (just turned16). She went up to 30 mg Elavil over a month's time, stayed there for a few months, then tapered off to zero over about 4 months time. She had lots of side effects every time we increased or decreased her dose (headaches, nausea, heart palpitations, etc). So make sure your mom and your doctor realize how powerful those meds are.

All the best, good luck with your neuro.
PCSLearner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
juliec (04-29-2010)