View Single Post
Old 01-29-2007, 08:13 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Angry Am I the only one??? Oh my!!, Doctors!

Am I the only one who has really crazy problems with Doctors???

Let me explain... I have RSD in all of my extremities, and I recently went to the eye Dr. (optometrist). I went to get my eyes checked, get new glasses, and I also wanted to tell my eye Dr. that I was seeing floaters.

SO, I went and the eye appt. went well. My prescription had not changed much, but the eye Dr. said that there was an elevated and inflamed nerve in my eye!! I was alarmed and so was my PCP. Well, my eye Dr. told me that he wanted to keep an eye on things ( lol, really! not meant as a joke), and look more into it, because as I have RSD and that is also a nerve problem.

My PCP wanted me to see an ophthalmologist since he could look more into this nerve problem in my eye. I go and he says he sees absolutely nothing wrong with it. He told me that my optometrist could not have seen that, because if he did then he would see it now (and if he did, he would even see it a year later). OKAY. Well, I told him that he should call my optometrist, because he is the one who saw this. He said that he would not call him because he would find out absolutely nothing!!!!!! I was so dumbfounded. WHAT???!!! He really thought I made this all up! Why would I make up that some other eye Dr. said there was nerve inflammation and elevation? Why would I pay to see another eye Dr. if I really made it up? Come on!!

So then he goes on to check out the floaters I have reported seeing for the past few months (which, by the way, came on at the exact same time the pain got AWFUL). He looks at my eyes real well, and he says that "oh, yes the jelly has collapsed in your eye". Well, yeah- my other Dr. says so!! So, I asked him "why did the jelly collapsed?". He says "Well, it didn't.". WHAT???????????????!!!!!!!! You just said it did!

He then goes on and on about how the medications I am on or have been on (Neurontin, percocet, darvocet, lidoderm) COULD cause me to have dry eyes, to have trouble reading, or such!! WHAT? He went on the internet (he said so) and looked up all the meds. I am on to see if they would cause any such side effects. WHY, I don't know! I did not report having trouble with reading or dry eyes. I came because my optometrist said there was something wrong with the nerve in my eye.

I could not get any more out of him... he said that the floaters didn't just appear when the pain got awful, I just started noticing them at that time. OK, I'm sorry, but I did NOT just start noticing them at the time my pain went through the roof. Why would I THEN take the time to notice them when I was dealing with major pain?

Whatever. I know that these floaters started then. They did not come as a side effect to the meds. I'm on... they started before I started any meds (other than motrin, tylenol, aleve)!!

BTW, the floaters did NOT start from old age either, I am young.

Everyone can tell me I'm crazy, I don't know what I'm talking about, and on and on and on... I am NOT crazy, I refuse for Doctors to just excuse me, and tell me I made something up (or at least act like it).

That really isn't the worst of it. I have a Dr. who tells me that I can not look up ANY info about RSD. Yeah- this is my disorder and I cannot even learn about it? I'm the one in pain 24/7, I am the one who is living through this and I might just have to live with it for many years to come. And I cannot even KNOW anything about it?! Yeah. He thinks that RSD is a psychological illness.

Sorry to go on and on. I must not be the only one, right?!

Anyone else have eye problems due to RSD?
Why do so many Drs. think that RSD is a psychological illness?

Please somebody, help me!!

Last edited by KateLynne; 02-15-2007 at 05:26 PM.
KateLynne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote