View Single Post
Old 04-21-2010, 05:50 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

no tbi,

There are lots of questions I would like to ask you so I can point you in a direction for some help. This forum is not for diagnostic purposes so asking specific questions can be problematic.

I have had cognitive problems from brain trauma, severe high fever, and extreme or long term emotional stress.

At one point, I was being treated by a psychiatrist for my cognitive struggles that sound a lot like yours. I had difficulty finishing sentences. I would lose track of my train of thought, This could happen mid-sentence. The psychiatrist diagnosed me as depressed or in the terms of the day, having a nervous breakdown. I did not have any of the sad or "stinkin' thinkin' " that commonly accompanies depression. I was just without the ability to think or feel about just about anything.

This MD got me on my nutrition/vitamin program that is my regimen to this day. I have fallen from the nutrition wagon from time to time but since my head injury in 2001, my vitamin/supplement regimen is mandatory for daily function.

As I hit my mid 40's, my struggles became worse. Since then, my ability to recover from even a minor head trauma became almost nil. Also since then, I have studied and research brain injuries and brain health extensively.

There are some Post Concussion Symptoms that are age related, others that are lifestyle related. By learning to understand our symptoms, we can also learn ways of accommodating or working around them. The memory tricks work for some people but not for others. They are useless for me. I have been told to take notes but I forget to write things down or I forget what I was going to write down while I am looking for the pen and paper.

We all have to work at understanding our strengths and weaknesses so we can work within them to adapt. The stress and anxiety of fighting with our struggles is counter-productive. I choose to focus my energies at the many work-arounds and accommodations. It all starts with accepting your current condition. We can't move forward until we know where we are.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Theta Z (05-11-2010)