View Single Post
Old 04-21-2010, 07:40 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

My physiotherapist gave me the disk to download on my computer, she said she thinks I'll just whiz through all the tests and be ready for the mirror test right away.

I set up the program and tried the first test. BTW you can set up the program for either feet or hands. It shows you various pictures of a foot (or hand) and you have to try to recognize if it is the left or the right limb. It was actually quite hard for me and I only scored 60% recognition. I have to get 100% and be able to do that for a week once every hour or so before I can move on to the next level. I think I have a bit more work to do than we both realized.

It's an interesting concept. Here is a link to the group behind it. http://www.noigroup.com It is based on a lot of research done by a fellow named David Butler in Australia.

Quote:
The ability to recognise a part of the body as belonging to the left or the right involves brain processes that are important for normal function. In some situations, for example after injury, the ability to recognise body parts as being left or right becomes reduced. Sometimes, the ability to recognise whether a body part is moving to the left or the right becomes reduced. These problems may contribute to pain and loss of function. Getting better at recognising left and right body parts and movements aids recovery from injury and improves performance.
I find it interesting that your wife had such an adverse reaction to the mirror therapy Jimking. Perhaps there is something to this program that could help her towards better function more gradually.

MsL
"When humans learn to be gratefully present every moment, they become angels. It’s not the wings that make the angel, but the message of courageous presence and creative acceptance, no matter what the moment brings: “Fear not!”" Gratefulness.org
Mslday is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote