Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Here is an article on how bitter lemon works:

http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/Ne...l/23040802.asp

My understanding is that you have to have endogenous insulin.
Type II diabetics can burn out the pancreas and need insulin like you do Mel. This herb will only work when insulin is present, but having difficulty at the cellular level only.

This is another herb that has a long history of blood sugar effects:
http://healthlibrary.epnet.com/GetCo...chunkiid=21774

It never made to the "drug" stage tho. I worked on this herb when I was in college, doing the extractions for it, for the medicinal chemistry department. There was a grad fellow there from India studying it. So I have a nostalgic connection to it!
Mrs. D.

I clicked on the first link, read the article and DIDN'T UNDERSTAND ONE WORD. But that's okay.

then I clicked on the second link you provided and one paragraph popped out at me.

"If you are taking insulin or oral medications to reduce blood sugar levels, gymnema might cause them to work even better, potentially causing hypoglycemia. Therefore, you may need to reduce your dose of medication."

I take between 18 and 20 units of Lantus, and the people at Accord, and even my doctor told me I could get off Lantus and switch to an oral med any time I want because my diet is extremely supportive of good glucose control. My goal, and this will probably take awhile, is to get off ALL of it altogether. Might not get there, but I'll do my darndest.

So if you were me, which item would you try?

The Charantea, or the Gynmema. I mean, I'm not going to take big doses of anything, but I want to experiment. I have absolutely no signs of neuropathy since I began the methyl B-12 and my eye doctor has told me I have no signs of diabetic eyes so I'm good as far as that goes.

But I would LOVE to get off diabetic meds EVENTUALLY.

So, if you had to pick, which one could I try. The iherb one sounds the easiest to find.

I just came back from all the chinese stores in my neighborhood and only one sales person said "oh bitter melon tea, yeah we used to sell that, but no one bought it, so we don't carry it anymore".

So give me your best shot. I have no idea what it means by cellular level and endogenous insulin but if I can be a guinea pig for everybody on these forums, well I'm game!!!

lol
thanks much

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote