View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 03:44 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Mrs. D.

I took a walk to my local GNC (where I get my cranberry pills). I ask her about the charantea and the other thing you mentioned. She walks me over to this product called "SUGAR BALANCE".

Well, guess what? It has BOTH INGREDIENTS. It's also $28.99

So I'm about to buy it (You know me, I'll try ANYTHING within reason), and I look at the label. I ALWAYS look at labels. I once read that if you can't pronounce anything on a label, don't buy it.

I couldn't pronounce it. I didn't buy it.

I came home and typed it in google, and sure enough it's all over the place at different prices. The GNC site does not give you the list of ingredients.

This site does:

http://www.americandiabeteswholesale...ets/Detail.bok

It also says:

Sugar Balance by GSL combines herbs and nutritional supplements to increase the release of insulin from the pancreas and increase the number of insulin receptors, thus increasing insulin sensitivity. Its main ingredient is bitter melon extract, which contains an insulin-like protein called Polypeptide-P. Ingesting the plant or an extract form of the plant seems to work on both the pancreas and non-pancreatic cells to help decrease blood glucose levels. Clinical trials and lab reports show the health benefits of Bitter Melon.

How Does It Work

1. Sugar Balance acts as a mediator between the body's cells and insulin already produced by the pancreas. It helps to block the formation of glucose in the bloodstream and breaks down the barrier that prevents cells from absorbing and breaking down glucose into a usable energy form.
2. Sugar Balance has been shown to help increase production of beta cells by the pancreas. This improves the body's ability to produce and release insulin. Sugar Balance may also increase the number and activity of insulin receptors. Research has shown that Bitter Melon (Sugar Balance's main ingredient) can improve glucose tolerance and help the body process blood sugars.

It gives a breakdown of Bitter Melon Extract, American Ginseng Extract, and Gymmema Sylvestre Extract. So far, so good, right?

Well, when it got to OTHER INGREDIENTS, here is what it lists:

Dicalcium Phosphate, Cellulose, Stearic Acid, Croscarmellose Sodium, Magnesium Stearate, Hydroxypropylmethycullolose and Polyethylene Glycol.

That word has 27 letters.

Why on earth would it put an ingredient that contains 27 letters in a supplement? I'm going to google this hydroxprop........and see what the heck this is. And I think that polyethylene glycol is a laxative, right? Jeez. All I wanted to do was help my blood sugar a bit.

I'm just amazed that there exists a product that has both bitter melon, and Gymmema Sylvestra.

Your comments as usual are very welcome.

Take care,

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote