View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 01:33 AM

Location: GulfCoastSouth .... April 2014 rudely displanted to the cold wet windy gloomy NW coast.
10 yr Member

Location: GulfCoastSouth .... April 2014 rudely displanted to the cold wet windy gloomy NW coast.
10 yr Member
Default Re: Imperative for an Early Diagnosis of Concussion

Thank you, Mark, for this reporting of great importance to us! Yes, yes.

The problem(s) I have encountered have been just mind-boggling to anyone of even simply "good, decent common sense", much less being cognitively dis-advantaged in terms of MTBI/PCS and dealing with medical care.

For example, even though the E.R. sent me home with *pages* of information and instructions on "Concussion" and "Post-Concussive Syndrome", they *never once* mentioned the *words* or care instructions whatsoever to me verbally.

It was only thereafter in obtaining the radiologist's report of E.R. CT-scan, that I saw clearly noted "Closed Head Trauma". I subsequently saw my neurologist (per E.R. directives for followup) and all he did was a minimal neurological screen and said, " I wouldn't advise anything different than the E.R."

When I inquired as to what I might expect in terms of continuing to "be out of it"/for how long, what about working/driving and inability to drive, intense head pain, nausea, vomiting, unbalanced in walking, sleeping 14-17 hours per day (in 2-3 necessary sleep/brain shutdowns), intense vertigo, falling down, double vision/blurry vision and host of cognitive dysfunctions, inability to even make coffee or tea (forgot "how to") --- neurologist quipped: "You'll get better if you want to." That was it.

I immediately requested copies of medical records from that neuro visit and was simply stunned at the lack of accurate, truthful documentation in the neuro's patient notes!

Maybe it's the State in which I reside, but I have found that docs clearly do not want to accurately document these things as we *accurately report* them in all good faith and trust in their care and service to our well-being.

In fact, I've hence learned that the docs (in this State anyway) are "beholden" to the insurance companies and as well to protect themselves (the docs) from potentially becoming at all involved in any litigation/legal matters. (For example, were I to bring lawsuit against the at-fault driver in the auto collision which caused my injury.)

So, I thank you again. And a reminder to us all, that we're not always the ones who "fail to report adequately". In my own case, it's the docs whose best interest for themselves and the insurance companies is to "under-report" and inadequately document what we do report and present.

Much appreciation to you and all that you help and report here, Mark .

Sincerely,
Theta Z
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Age 57, high-speed, high-impact, rear-ended, totalled my car, auto collision 1 yr 6 mos. ago. "Every day in every way, I affirm that I am better and better in every way. And I give thanks that it is so. And so it is."
MTBI/closed head injury/PCS
Theta Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote