View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 07:22 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Complementary therapies

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverett123 View Post
An uncontrolled stress response is deadly in PD. Meditation, exercise, hypnosis, whatever it takes.
Hi,

Rick has very good points. There is also convincing eveidence that PD is an auto-immune disorder centering on out of control inflammation. A potential vaccine is in the works; Gendelman is a lead researcher at U of Nebraska and an Austrian pharma AFFIRIS will start clinical trials later this year! I feel strongly they are on to something and am in the process of starting an anti-inflammatory supplement regime and a cycling program. Please see the thread Pedaling for Parkinson's for the importance of force paced exercise.

I'm sure you already know this but these treatments are complementary so many doctors wash their hands of it all. I would suggest researching, having your dad go through a complete panel checking vitamin levels (B is important too) and things like thyroid panels; then consulting with a Naturopath to help with adding and managing supplements- it is dangerous to put together a treatment plan on one's own.

University of Maryland Medical Center and Udall in Seattle are some of the very few progressive minded PD treatment centers that take an integrative approach and if possible your dad may want to visit one for a treatment consult. I hope to visit UMMC this summer.

Hope this helps,

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote