View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 10:21 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Some of us have been trying to figure out why teenage girls seem to suffer from PCS at higher rates than their male counterparts. Hormones seem like a likely culprit.

Most of the girls I've read about with PCS are the athletic, ultra driven types. I think we tend to blame their injuries on their activities. I'm starting to wonder if they might have different hormonal levels, less estrogren perhaps?, than their more calm or sedate counterparts before injury. So they are more prone to PCS because they have less of the protective estrogen? But if that was the case wouldn't boys get more PCS than girls?

Just a thought here by someone with zero medical training and little knowledge of the workings of hormones.

My daughter's blood work all came back normal, albeit results were read by a GP and I'm not positive she was tested according to the above protocol. Even if I found she did have a hormonal imbalance, I would be very hesitant to give a 16-year-old HRT. Is this something that can correct itself over time? Or with future hormonal changes (i.e. pregnancy, aging)?

This hormone theory also makes sense in terms of people who experience a dramatic improvement in symptoms after a lot of time has gone by. They may have experienced a hormonal change that reduced symptoms. Hmmm....
PCSLearner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote