View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 11:41 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Kendra, I am sorry you are having such a rough time. Being on those drugs is not easy. I have moments like that but nothing like what you experienced.

It helps to understand what drugs do to you. Prednisone is an antiprostaglandin. One of the things it does is to reduce the gel coating of the stomach. You produce less stomach acid and may have trouble getting calcium, iron, vitamin B12 and other nutrients from your diet. What can help is either eating fish or adding a fish/flax oil supplement to your diet (which are good prostaglandins). I always find it amazing how "turned on" my brain gets after eating fish. Mrs. D. could probably give you a lot more info and other suggestions about diet while on these meds. I know she is a proponent of SAMe.

It wouldn't hurt to add some sublingual vitamin B12 to your daily routine. Some recent research has shown that it helps with Alzheimer patients. www.iherb.com has great prices and with certain amounts there is free shipping. I've ordered from them for 10 years. You can't make acetylcholine as well without B12 and you can't make stomach acid without acetylcholine. The brain needs acetylcholine too.

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=2122455

So many doctors forget about what vitamins/minerals do to help the body. And many drugs deplete the body of various ones. Just the diarrhea alone that many people who take cellcept have can make you lose nutrients. Taking acidophilus helps keep the GI tract good/bad bacteria balance.

I hope you will try some sensible supplements, if you haven't already. It's good to introduce one at a time, in case you have any adverse reactions. Although no study I have found has said a person can have too much B12. It's not like B6, which can be bad for things like a neuropathy. B12 is so essential to every cell in the body. I know firsthand, having had a B12 deficiency. Not fun. And I was on the verge of full blown dementia.

You could speak to your doctor about all this (primary doc, not neuro) but don't expect them to give a hoot or know about any of it. A lot of docs don't have knowledge of supplements and how they can help you.

I hope you can feel better somehow. Depression is not something you can easily get over. If you can speak to a psychiatrist or psychologist, that might help too. They can often give a lot of new coping skills to deal with depression.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DesertFlower (04-24-2010)