View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010, 11:00 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I had surgery in 1998 and in 2009 had my eyes examined for glasses. The optometrist wondered if I had early stages of glaucoma and referred me to an opthamologist who did visual field testing. After the testing, the opthamologist asked me if I had ever had a stroke. I am not aware of any symptoms of stroke and it was never mentioned to me as having occurred during surgery. However, she did find that I had an area of deficit on one side, the right, called Pie-In-The-Sky. I was not recognizing the lights flashing in an area resembling a quarter of a pie. My surgery was on the right. She ordered an MRI of the eyes and brain and didn't find anything unusual but did say the neurosurgeon did a good job. All we can figure is that it was from the surgery. I was not at all aware of it until the testing found it and have not noticed a visual deficit. I googled the term you posted and this is one article.
http://www.supereyecare.com/residents/VFPart4.pdf From that article:
' “pie-in-the-sky” homonymous quadrantanopia from anterior temporal lobe lesion.'
We both had an anterior temporal lobectomy, so it seems to fit. I also hav an area of numbness inside my mouth on the right that includes the side of my tongue and upper hard palate. Sometimes that is more noticeable. Since on the right too, I wonder if it too is from my surgery. Tattoo
Tattoo2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote