View Single Post
Old 04-25-2010, 12:18 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Tasks for Psychiatric Service Dogs

This is a good discussion on emotional vs psychiatric service dogs (PSDs) and what is required for a dog to be legally considered a PSD.

There is a dispute in the PSD community as to whether a PSD has to perform tasks or if work is sufficient. It appears the laws will get stricter for PSDs before they get more liberal. So I have included task training in my work with Polar. I interpret the current ADA regulations to require tasks of all service dogs, not just work. However, the ADA does not specify what tasks a PSD must perform.

When I began training my PSD, I found I could attend my doctor appointments by myself if Polar was with me. Previously agoraphobia kept me in my house for several years unless accompanied by my husband. I have added running a couple of errands on the way to or from a doctor visit, but I don't yet go out just to run errands. (yes, there is a difference!) I have goals to improve my public outings, but for Polar this is her working with me, not performing a task. She is not doing anything other than accompanying me and being available to be picked up and snuggled with.

Now, while I am out, Polar's task is to paw my leg or arm to let me know I am having an anxiety attack or not being conscious of my surroundings.

As with a previous individual, Polar alerts me to take my medication three times a day. This is also a task.

Due to my medications, I used to stay up all night. I could sleep 3-4 hours in any 24 to 36 hour period for a week before I was totally manic...caused by my medications. It just would not occur to me that I should go to bed. My husband would wake up for work, see me on the computer or reading and say "hoot hoot!" (night owl) I would look at the clock, having no idea how much time went by. If I lay down, I can sleep, but I just didn't lay down. Polar now alerts me when it is bedtime (10pm-ish). This is task number three. She finds me at bedtime and twirls in circles to get my attention. (Same thing for the medications.) I look at the clock and realize I again have lost track of time and need to head for bed. This mitigates a symptom caused by the medications I take.

I also forget to eat lunch many days. I could train Polar to alert me to this, but I always eat breakfast and then dinner when my husband comes home from work, so I don't worry about it. If I needed Polar to perform another task, this would be an option.

Each of us is different, so the tasks may be different. When I began training Polar I had no idea what tasks she might perform, other than reminding me to take my medication. This concerned me and made me anxious. The "return from anxiety attack" and bedtime tasks she performs she picked up on by herself. I just had to recognize she was alerting me and integrate it into her training so she is consistent.

Although I began training Polar on my own, after seven months I needed assistance, so found a trainer. I want a trainer as part of my documentation file in case I need to defend my right to have a PSD and am taken to court. This will help in documenting she is a trained PSD, even though it is not required by ADA regulations. Just trying to cover all bases.

When people ask, and gatekeepers are allowed to ask, what my SD does for me I say she is a medical alert dog. I personally am not secure enough to say she is a psychiatric service dog. Some people know, but not strangers. There is a stigma on mental health that remains in our culture. I am willing to educate people on SD, but not ready to battle the mental health stigma. Another response some PSD handlers provide is mobility - assist with dizziness caused by medications. This will not work with Polar and me as she is only 10 pounds!

Part of Polar's training will be to pass a Public Access Test and Delta Society's Canine Good Citizen test. Currently, she is ready for the Public Access Test and almost ready for the CGC test. I have a letter from my psychiatrist indicating part of my treatment program is to have a PSD. Lastly, Polar just finished a series of tests by her vet. Once all the results are in the vet will mail us a letter of health. I have the documentation that she is up on all of her immunizations, including rabies.

All of this has taken 9 months. This is fairly quick. PSDs usually take 1-2 years to train. I started with a very well behaved dog who knew me as she was my pet before becoming my PSDiT.

Enough from me...this became much longer than I anticipated!

dawn & polar
DawnandPolar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote