View Single Post
Old 04-25-2010, 02:01 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Zach.

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear about your injury. My daughter is a freshman in high school and received a concussion back in October. While, she has not suffered the physical pain you decribe, she been suffering with PCS. It's been a long and frustrating battle.

Initially, she was a zombie most of the time. Terrible sleep issues, fatigue, headaches and memory issues. She didn't feel like her self. At one point, she started to stutter and her left arm with tremor. Both of these have since resolved.

Her memory greatly improved 5 or so months into it. If was almost like a switch was thrown and it started working again. She started to feel more normal. The fatigue and the headaches are still lingering.

Prior to her injury, she was a straight A student. I don't want to scare you - but she is still not in school full time. The morning fatigue makes that really difficult for her. Mentally, she is good for about 2 classes before she gets pretty fatigued. This has been really frustrating. We are lucky that the school is being supportive. She looks ok - but there is still a lot of healing going on in her brain.

At this stage in the game, my recommendation would be complete rest. Limit the amount of mental stimulation too. Don't push it and listen to your body. If your parents have questions - have them read this forum too. It will help them also understand what you are going through. If you search on Youtube there are a couple of good videos about concussions too. The book "Head Games: Football's concussion crisis" (or something similar) is a really good book. The first half of the book does a great job talking about concussions while the latter talks about concussions in the NFL. "Brainlash" is another helpful book as well as one called "Coping with Tramatic Brain Injuries".
nancys is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote